Monday, October 27, 2008

Why Bebo said yes to film like Golmaal Returns



No doubt Kareena Kapoor is the hottest screen queen. She not only manoeuvres the marquee but today commands the kind of enviable position and market price that reminds one of Hema Malini and later Aishwarya Rai.

When Kareena signed on to do the sequel for Golmaal she just wanted to have fun doing a genre she hadn't tried before. Little did she know that she would become one of the sequel's USPs in no time at all.

Says Kareena, "Gol Maal Returns was a planned move in my career. I've done films with an ensemble cast before like Kabhi Khushi Kbahie Gham and Omkara. But none that was so much fun.

I just want my role to be strong and effective.I've a really funny role. I play Tusshar's sister and my name is Ekta and I only watch Balajee serials the whole day.

I play this suspicious housewife who keeps tabs on her husband's movements all day long just because she sees women in soaps behaving that way. It's a loud colourful role. I've never done it before. audiences are going to come out of Gol Maal Returns feeling very happy. I don't want to restrict myself to serious cinema. I'd also like to do fun roles."

As the project progressed, Kareena found herself in a position where she could rope in best-friend Amrita Arora into projects. Amrita wangled pivotal roles in two big Kareena projects Golmaal Returns (opposite Arshad) and Sajid Nadiadwala's Kabakht Ishq (opposite Aftab Shivdasani).

Talented as she is, it would be hard to believe that Amrita's presence in these two projects is a mere coincidence.

As the shooting progressed Kareena's stardom got hotter. And her role of the suspicious and jealous housewife addicted to Balajee's Saas -Bahu serials was given the maximum glam quotient.

After the promotional theme track with the entire cast, Kareena shot a whole item number Saala tu to kaam se gaya by herself.

Recently another item song Meeow was also shot. Initially this number was planned only for the promotional campaign. But now one hears Kareena's Meeow song will be used in the ebd titles.

Confirming these developments music director Pritam says, "What you've heard is right. I've also heard that the producers plan not to use the Saala song. Both the item songs with Kareena were planned from the outset. The Meeow number was meant to go with the end titles.."

One reason for this could be the word Saala which many feel may be correct for 'Pappu' in Jaane Tu ….Ya Jaane Na but not Kareena.

Says Pritam. "We had the Saala song in Golmaal Returns from before Jaane Tu…Ya Jaane Na. But yes I've heard it's going from the narration."

Adds Pritam, "At the moment composing songs for Kareena to perform on screen is a big high for any composer.The turning point in my career were the songs for Kareena in Jab We Met. I composed one item number for Kareena recently in Billoo Barbar and now two in Gol Maal Returns."

For Gossips And Mirch Masala Log On To Bollywood Paradize

No comments:

Post a Comment